BlakeDean Michigan

Gun Free Zones

With the reacent mass shootings in the past few years, many precausions have been taken to prevent theses tradgeties. One of these precausions was to make schools "Gun free zones." This has to be one of the stupidest ideas in the history of the USA.

Dear Mr/Mrs President,

These past few years there have been some school shootings that have drastically hurt the american people. Many people will jump to blaming the guns and the gun manufacturers. They never think as to why the shooter would attack the school. Many of these shooters attacked the schools because it is an easy target. Why are they an easy target? Because they are “gun free zones.”

I know that making these schools gun free zones was meant to keep the students safer and to protect them, but it actually puts these students in more danger. According to ProCon.org, “... 48% of convicted felons surveyed admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed with a gun.” If we post a sign saying that nobody in this school has a gun, then we are basically telling the criminals “there is nobody who can defend themselves here, so we are vulnerable.” With the increase in the amount of school shootings, why would we advertise the vulnerability of the students and staff in the school? With the power that comes with the title of President of the United States, I hope you use this power to help the lives of me and my future children.           

Okemos High School

Youth Voices

Sharing our ideas with Youth Voices: http://www.youthvoices.live/ and Letters to the Next President 2.0