Mamadou S. New York

They are citizens too

I believe all undocumented immigrants should be granted legal status because they pay taxes just like any other citizen, and they contribute to​ the development of this country.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

I’m Mamadou Sow, a Senior from Brooklyn International High School. I immigrated to the US in 2014 from Guinea. Now Ii live in New York. I’m writing to you because I’m deeply concerned about immigration. In my opinion, all undocumented immigrants already in the United States should be granted legal status due to the fact they contribute to the development of this nation by paying taxes.

Undocumented immigrant should be granted legal status and a path to citizenship for a few reasons. One reason is that many Americans don’t want undocumented immigrants to be deported. According to Pew Research Center, 72 percent of Americans say undocumented immigrants should be allowed to stay in the United States. This poll tells us that it won’t be fair to take these undocumented immigrant back to their countries. Let’s not forget that some flee their native country due to violence, poverty and lack of employment. Another reason is that many have come live in the United States since they were 3 years old and are well educated. Take a look at Saavedra, “a graduate of Kenyon College in Ohio with a degree in sociology, says he’s American in every way, except for having legal papers.” If this man is given a legal status, he might be able to have a job and even provide for his family. Lastly, some immigrants leave their country to have a freedom and achieve their dreams. If you think about it, we are all immigrants in some way. Some came from Africa, Europe or Asia, I mean, all over the world to make America. Why can’t we give them legal status? Why separate a mother or a father from their families?

I urge you to think about this issue very carefully. No matter whoever win this election, you should do what you can to make this country better. Remember, undocumented immigrants are also human beings just like you. So they deserve a right to have a better future and good education.

Mamadou Sow

Brooklyn International High School

BIHS Seniors 2016-17

Brooklyn International High School, in New York City, is a public school for recent immigrants to the U.S.