Alison Arizona

Transgender Issues

I think there are very many issues that should be reviewed on transgender rights.

Dear President;

I am a senior in high school with a transgender little sister in middle school. I try my best to help her with the bullying. Sometimes she will come home crying because of the mean things the other kids say to her. One article, The National Center of Transgender equality states, “Bullying, harassment, or discrimination against transgender or gender nonconforming students is covered by title IX, a federal law that prohibits sex discrimination in schools.” Under these laws you are to be treated as equally as the gender you identify with. You have the right to be called by the name of your gender choice.

Under these rights the transgender community should be allowed to use the bathroom of their choice. In the article, "Bathroom Bill," they state that there is more than just bathroom conflict. And I agree. Some states make you use the bathroom that is on your original birth certificate. The safest places for students at a school are offices and classrooms where there is a teacher present to prevent harm to a student. In many cases even having a teacher or a principal present will not keep the young kids out of danger.

A lot of children and teens are afraid to even come out as transgender because of how other kids will treat them. Sometimes parents are known to be abusive when their child comes out as well. These kids are more afraid of being judged or beat up than they are to be themselves and do what makes them happy. There should be someone who enforces the title IX laws in schools and classification. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely;

Alison Smith