Abby M. Illinois

The United States Needs to Ban Discrimination against the LGBTQ+ Community

People in the LGBTQ+ community aren't always being treated as equals and we need to fix that.

People in the LGBTQ+ community aren’t always being treated as equals. As part of the LGBTQ+ community myself, I have experienced minor discrimination (dirty looks upon talking about girls). I know multiple people who have it much worse than me, though.

Did you know, only 19 states and D.C ban discrimination based on one’s sexual/gender identity? This means in 31 states someone could be denied employment (among other things) for being gay, transgender, or genderfluid etc. “All people – including those who are gay or transgender – should be treated fairly and equally by the laws of their state, and should have the opportunity to earn a living, access housing, and participate fully in society,” says the American Civil Liberties Union.

In some states, it’s legal to not serve someone because of their sexuality. In the past 4 years, there have been 62 marriage refusals because someone was gay. Imagine you and your significant other being shut down marriage, one of your most significant memories, because others don’t agree with it. “In the first half of 2016 alone, 87 bills that could limit LGBT rights have been introduced, a steep increase from previous years,” The Washington Post wrote. LGBT rights are getting more limited as time goes on. Our country is supposed to be progressing, not falling behind.

In one day, North Carolina became one of the most anti-LGBT states in America by passing one bill. This law prevents transgender people from using the bathroom they’re comfortable with among other things. “What is perhaps most troubling about the passage of this law in North Carolina is that it could pave the way for other states to also target the transgender community for discrimination,” says Zack Ford on Think Progress. If laws like this continue, people living in certain states might have their rights diminished and begin to feel unsafe in the country.

Laws like this should be taken to a federal level. Our nation should not discriminate against it’s people but instead accept them. We should make it a federal law to ban discrimination across the United States.

People in the LGBTQ+ community deserve the same rights as anyone else. This will truly, help America become great again.

Gurrie Middle School

McGovern Period 5/6

Ms. McGovern's Period 5/6 ELA Class