Karissa Arizona

There should be more laws on gun control.

Congratulations on the big win! I’m sure you will be an amazing president. One issue that I would like to bring to your attention is gun control. So far, in 2016, there has been a total of 405 mass shootings, and the year is not even over yet. In the last three years, the total number of mass shootings has been 1,440 (massshootingtracker.org). Those numbers are too high for us to live in peace and safety. That is why there should be more laws on gun control. In Britain, there is less than 50 kills annually. After a school shooting in 1996, British government put stricter laws on guns like a ban on rifles and had in depth background checks. According to the Small Arms Survey, there was 6.5 guns per 100 people in Britain, and 101 guns per 100 people in America. When more people have guns, it can tempt them to use them against people and cause chaos. There should be background checks before someone purchases a gun to make sure they will not use it on innocent people. The statistics of shootings are too high to not do something about it, and as president, it is your job to protect the American people. If there were more gun laws, gun death rates would go down. 66.6% of all homicides and 52.2% of all suicides have been caused by guns. If there were stricter laws on guns, those numbers would not exist, causing gun deaths to be less common. If nothing is done about these numbers soon, they will only get worse, especially in today’s society. Also, if there were gun controls, it could help protect women from abusers and stalkers. Guns are mostly owned by men, (35% of men and 12% of women). There has been more women killed by a partner with a gun in 11 years than there has been US soldiers in action during the 14 years of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (gun-control.procon.org). If we want America to be known as a safe place to live and visit, then you should do something about gun controls.

Karissa pd.3