Christian R. New York

Still want to litter?

Pollution is destructive , because it creates numerous types of water pollution and also lead to poor air quality affecting people's health.

Pollution has been skyrocketing in the most recent years causing major shifts in weather patterns all over the globe leading to killed crops and deaths all over. "Air pollution levels have become so high that it has even started to cause shifts in weather patterns over China leading to a 30% decrease in rainfall in almost half of its major river regions as well as a 37% decline in the country's wheat, rice and corn yields. Such drought effects brought on by air pollution coupled with heavy land and water depletion have also led to huge leaps in desertification. The Gobi Desert in northern China is currently expanding by about 1,900 square miles annually (an area twice the size of Luxembourg). All told, somewhere between 1/5th-1/4th of the entire country is now officially classified as desert " ( Chi 1 ) .this quote is important because it gives facts on why pollution is destructive , because it creates numerous types of water pollution and also lead to poor air quality affecting people's health. 

Another type of pollution that is harmful is water pollution and is almost done all over the world and it ends up destroying our waterways and freshwater lakes and a ton of drinking water. " Industrial plants are responsible for more than half of all water pollution in the United States. Water sources that are used to take industrial wastes away from manufacturing facilities often carry the wastes into streams and other waterways. The movement of these waters then spreads the pollutants over a wider area. Pollutants discharged into the nation’s waterways include mercury, lead, sulfur, asbestos, phosphates, nitrates, and various petrochemicals. More than 40 percent of America’s lakes, rivers, and estuaries were too polluted for drinking, swimming, or fishing. " ( Pol 1) Water pollution has caused a multitude of damages to homes and irrigation systems killing and ruining lives.  

There is a wide range of threats to earth caused by pollution and a main one that we are still trying to solve is global warming and the enormous amount of problems it causes for us. " Air pollution results in another long-term environmental threat—global warming. Normally, the sun’s radiation warms the surface of the planet and then that heat goes back into space. However, burning fossil fuels create gases, such as carbon dioxide and methane, which trap heat in the atmosphere. This process, known as the greenhouse effect because the gases hold in heat like the glass panels of a greenhouse, could have very serious effects on the environment. " ( Pol 2) As it appears pollution has caused one of the most serious issues that we have today with the earth’s environment. 

Although there are many downsides to pollution and all the harm it does there is one form of it that actually does little to none at all and it is called Fracking. " In 2009, another study from the U.S. Department of Energy and the Groundwater Protection Council—an interstate body of environmental regulators—concluded that fracking is a "safe and effective" technology for producing energy from deep geological formations. " (Fra 1) Fracking has been around for just a recent time Mr/Mrs president and happens to be one the good things in the energy producing industry and is actually a very efficient way of producing usable energy. Media outlets have also tried to bash companies that use fracking even though they have risen their drilling activity and have managed to get the output of pollution they emit to an all time low. (Fra 2 )   

Throughout time pollution has harmed multiple countries and has taken lives all over the globe causing major remorse and problems for earth creating major damage to the atmosphere and we are the only ones not being affected. China's has multiple pollution problems and their air is not the only thing being affected by pollution. 25% of their fresh water sources were tampered to the point of beyond safe for both human digestion and farming uses. Two-Thirds of China's cities suffer from severe water shortages, which cuts off water necessities for people all around China. Now that you have seen this side of pollution will you help save our earth from pollution ?

Sincerely, Christian R

VS North HS

Italiano/Suarez Per 2

These letters were written by 9th grade students. They spent two weeks researching issues and one week learning how to write an argument letter. This was the first project of this magnitude that they have ever experienced, they learned a lot, and they are very happy to be done! Thank you for reading.