Dawson S. Virginia

Legal Drinking Age

I believe the legal drinking age in the United States should be lowered to the age of 18.

Dear Mr President:

I would like to bring a recurring issue to your attention. The lowering of the drinking age to eighteen. This issue and discussion has been floating around for a number of years now. I am a firm believer that the age should in fact be lowered for a number of reasons. One large reason in which I believe this is based on the fact that at this age, it is seen as a transition to adulthood, those of the age are now capable of buying tobacco products, voting, and joining the United States Military. I strongly believe if one is willing to join the military and put his or her life on the line for their country, such as myself, he or she should be permitted to legally have a drink or a beer.

This is a very controversial topic but it is a necessity for it to be brought to attention. In most countries, the drinking age is lower than that in the United States at twenty-one and these countries have been successful at controlling their drinking standards. The drinking age should match the same age as that of enlisting in the military along with voting. Most people between the ages of eighteen and twenty as a majority already consume alcohol although it is illegal and not permitted in the United States. For this I believe the age should be lowered to that of eighteen and I as an American have confidence in you to take proper consideration into this letter and I thank you for such consideration.  

Smithfield High School

SHS AP Lang Blocks 1 & 2

Smithfield High School, AP Language and Composition, 11th grade