hannah k. Virginia

Abortion needs to be rethought

Imagine seeing your young child playing in the yard, with a huge smile on their face. The wind is blowing in their hair, while they run and scream, just taking the huge world in. You ask if they want ice cream, and they jump up in the air with delight. That’s your pride and joy, you’d do anything for them. Now, pretend like the mother of the child aborted him or her. You would not have had that simple experience that just puts a huge smile on your face. The child would not be there, and they would never have become your pride and joy.

With that, there is a shocking increase in abortions according to the quote, “In 2012, 699,202 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas. The abortion rate for 2012 was 13.2 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 210 abortions per 1,000 live births.” Abortion is a huge controversial issue, but in the end, it is still ending a child’s unknown future. Abortion should only be legal in some circumstances, such as, childbirth would kill the mother and/or child. But, if abortions were to become illegal, unsafe abortions would sky rocket. So, as a compromise between the two opposing sides, there should be counselling for women undergoing abortions before and after an abortion.

Along with abortions is keeping the baby and putting it up for adoption; there are many willing people who are unable to conceive children themselves, and would love the chance to become a parent. On the contrary, adoptions are very expensive, as stated by the quote, “It generally costs from $0 to $1,000 to adopt a child from a County Foster/Adopt program. These children are often older, but sometimes infants are placed. A voluntary adoption of a newborn through a non-profit agency will generally cost between $25,000 and $40,000.” It is possible that with a decrease in price on adoptions, there would also be a decrease in abortions. Along with the price of adoptions, it is a long and hard process. Should a willing parent, who just wants a child, have to endure all of this?

As a fellow American, I feel the need to stand tall and try my best to protect anyone and everyone. This includes the unborn. Many women feel that they were not informed enough before their pregnancy, stated by the quote, “I was nine weeks pregnant. There was no counseling offered, just a leaflet telling me that I might feel a little upset, but that it was hormonal and would pass … –Jasmine.” Women have the right to be better informed before having an abortion, and need to have subsequent counselling before AND after the abortion. As a child whose mother aborted a child before having me, I feel this needs to be stopped. What if I was that aborted child instead of my unborn sibling? I’m asking you, as the leader of the United States, to change the regulations on abortions, and change the adoption system.

Hannah K

Works Cited: 

"After Abortion." After Abortion. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Oct. 2016.

http://afterabortion.org/2012/women-speak-out-about-counseling-in-the-abortion-industry/

"Data and Statistics." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2016. Web. 29 Oct. 2016.

http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/data_stats/

"Independent Adoption Center." How Much Does Adoption Cost? N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Nov. 2016.

http://www.adoptionhelp.org/qa/how-much-does-adoption-cost