Loganbay Virginia

Women's Right to a Choice

Why are the men in our country making decisions that will only affect the women?

Dear President of the United States:

I am writing to you to go over what I find to be a major fault in today's society. It is the issue of the women's choice of abortion. My opinion on this matter is irrelevant, however I think that it is time for men's opinions to start becoming irrelevant too.  Clinics are closing countrywide due to the congressmen who find that they disagree with abortion. More and more women are then beginning to lose access to the choice that will affect them for the rest of their lives. What doesn't make sense to me is why men have the ability to influence what happens to the women in this matter. They are not women, they do not get to have a say in this choice. Only women should be able to decide whether or not they choose to have an abortion. Until men have ovaries their opinion on this matter should be irrelevant. If it was your daughter would you want her to be able to have a choice? Or would you want someone far away in an office making this decision for her?

If your answer to the first question was yes then the solution is simple. Stop limiting women's access to clinics and instead start limiting the influence of men's opinions on the matter. If not women will be forced to take drastic and unsafe measures if they choose they don't want the child. Make America a truly free country to live in, a country where a women can decide what happens to her own body, not a country where someone can decide for her.

Smithfield High School

SHS AP Lang Blocks 1 & 2

Smithfield High School, AP Language and Composition, 11th grade