Ciara C. Virginia

An Affordable Education

Every year the price to go to a university rises but most lower and middle class income homes can't afford the tuition. There needs to be a compromise made between the government and universities in the United States.

First, I'd like to formally say congratulations for winning the election. It was a tough race but because you won, it must mean the American people trust you. Our future relies on you, especially people like me who will be going to college very soon. I know there is a lot of controversy over if college should be made free to the public but I would like to know if you'll be taking this very important issue into consideration. Will you be the president that finally cuts down the price of college and promise that a better education is accessible to all people?

I don't believe that all colleges should be made entirely free because that would leave a lot of people out of jobs and the colleges will barely receive any funding for resources. More and more younger people are going to college now and that means there must be more slots open to allow them in. This more professors must be hired to teach the newer generations and they will need paychecks. So it makes sense why the price is rising for the colleges, but what doesn't make sense is why the government isn't helping these colleges pay for them. To compensate for the prices, the government should make the decision to make every community college free and leave it up to the state or institution to make their colleges free. But there should be an executive order to force all the universities in the United States to cut down their tuitions a reasonable amount. That way some universities can be more accessible to lower economic classes. This won't be an easy case to propose to Congress but I trust you will make the right decision.

Smithfield High School

SHS AP Lang Blocks 1 & 2

Smithfield High School, AP Language and Composition, 11th grade