Carly Pennsylvania

Lighten the law by increasing background checks.

Gun Control is currently a problem in our society. There are two sides to it, some support it and some people are against it. Each side argues whether gun control is effective or not. There are studies and statistics to back their belief up. Some acts were put in place regarding gun control and one of these acts is the Gun Control Act of 1968, this act was put in place to limit the sales of firearms to foreign businesses and dealers to U.S. importers. Two other gun control acts were put in place, they were the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993, and NICS Improvement Act of 2008. These are just a few of the gun control acts put in place since 1968.

The first side supports some form of gun control and say that guns are responsible for the majority of things that happen with guns. They also suggest that laws should be passed that would make it harder for ordinary people to own guns. More gun control laws can lead to fewer suicides and hunters shouldn’t own military grade guns. The second side is made up of people who are opposed to most or all forms of gun control. One of their beliefs is that we need to control the people who own guns. Owning a gun is a constitutional right and the second amendment says people have the right to bear arms. This side also argues that gun control laws won’t stop criminals from using and obtaining guns. They also say that more gun control isn’t necessary because few people are actually killed by guns. Some people who are opposed also argue that we need more education towards guns instead of more gun control.

Two things guns can be used for are hunting and safety. Hunting gives you experience in the outdoors and you gain survival skills. The government can’t tell us what guns we can and can’t use to hunt with. The second amendment states “The right of the people to keep and bear Arms.” This means that people have the right to own guns. Another reason guns are good is they keep us safe by protecting us from robbers and other danger. Like the second amendment says “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Shall not be infringed means that the government can’t take that right away from us, that we are able to keep and bear guns. Studies have been done against taking away guns and keeping them and the results were that banning guns would actually increase the crime rate. Statistics say that in 2010, there were 230 homicides, but for every 35 homicides someone used a gun to kill the criminal. Just because the person had a gun to protect doesn’t mean they have to use it. To own a gun in Pennsylvania you must have competed a gun safety course and have a background check. Although you have to meet these circumstances criminals still get away with guns and we should increase background checks and gun safety courses. These are a few main reasons why gun control is a problem currently in our society.

Lower Dauphin High School

Mrs. Morgret's 9th grade Honors English students

Periods 4 and 5/6 from Lower Dauphin High School