Benjamin E. Pennsylvania

Protection of the Second Amendment

The protection of our Second Amendment is a vital issue we face today.

The war on guns has gone on long enough. Over the past five years, more than 100 gun control proposals have been made in Congress. Never has America ever been as anti-Second Amendment as it the country is today. However, what many fail to realize is that taking away our Second Amendment right is one of the worst things the country could do.

The arming of a population is essential to security of the people, and of the country. What many anti-gun activists do not understand is that a people without guns is an incredibly vulnerable nation. When the Second Amendment was written, it was written with the intention that if the government was to ever become tyrannical, the people would be able to rise up against the government and restore justice, not far from what happened back in 1776, when the colonists rose up against the oppressive King George and formed their new country. The second amendment was specifically made to allow the country’s population to retaliate should it ever be oppressed. And to those who argue that this point is bogus they must begin to look at events through history. The Third Reich disarmed its people before it began to commence the final solution. The Soviet Union disarmed its people before the government began to execute anyone who believed differently. Same with China and North Korea, too widely known dictatorship run countries. History repeats itself, and so we must be prepared, and armed in case of the chance of an oppressive government. And to those who wish to ban semi-automatic rifles, I ask you, how will you defend yourself from a government with a handgun? We must be ready for an event like this, unlikely or not, there is a possibility, and we must be prepared.

The left is always pushing for more gun control, yet there are proven facts gun control barely works. The following statements has been found from The Daily Wire. In 1976 Washington D.C. made a gun law that banned citizens from owning guns. Homicide rates then rose from 188 a year, to 364, and then even further to 454. When the ban was repealed, rates have steadily declined. The key example of Australia and Britain showing that gun control works also are not accurate. Two studies showed that Australia’s temporary gun ban had no effect on the homicide rate, and prior to 1996, there was already a clear decreasing trend of homicides. As with Britain, the Crime Prevention Center found that after the initial gun ban, there was a severe increase in the homicide rate, then followed by a gradual decline. There has only been one year however that the homicide rates were lower than the years pre-ban. Also, according to Center for Disease Control, between 1993 and 2003 gun ownership rose by 56% and gun violence decline by almost 50%.

The Second Amendment is an essential right. When guns are in the hands of good people, only the best can happen. Yes there must be restrictions in order to prevent criminals from obtaining guns, but we must still allow good people to also acquire firearms. In fact there have been more defensive gun uses than offensive gun uses. According to the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council published by the CDC, in 2013 there was a range of 500,000 to 3 million defensive gun uses, while in the same year the CDC and National Justice Institute found there had only been 11,208 firearm homicides and 414,562 non-fatal illegal gun uses. We must protect the second amendment, take guns from the hands of bad people, but keep guns in the hands of good people.