caleb p. Kentucky

Gun Control, Make America Great Again

Protect America's Right to Bear Arms

Dear Next President: 

We have a issue in today's society where people are trying to ban guns so we can be controlled by the government and have no way to fight back. Guns are what gives us the power to go against the government. Without guns we are unable to protect ourselves from those who wish to do us harm.  NRA President Wayne LaPierre states that "if you look at why our Founding Fathers put it [the Second Amendment] there, they had lived under the tyranny of King George and they wanted to make sure that these free people in this new country would never be subjugated again and have to live under tyranny” (procon.org) If we take away guns, we will be breaking the bill of rights and the constitution, as it says: “A well regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” As you may have noticed, the constitution has the word "infringed," which means actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.) so you can't break the rules. Some people will argue that guns lead to people dying; however, according to the CDC's "Leading Causes of Death Reports," between 1999 and 2013, Americans were 21.5 times more likely to die of heart disease (9,691,733 deaths); 18.7 times more likely to die of malignant tumors (8,458,868 deaths); and 2.4 times more likely to die of diabetes or 2.3 times more likely to die of Alzheimer's (1,080,298 and 1,053,207 respectively) than to die from a firearm” (procon.org) 

Guns are inanimate objects. They cannot kill people. People kill people. We don't take away cars because of drunk drivers! What needs to be done is to educate everyone about gun safety. We can also look at other places who have tried to do major gun control laws. For example, Mexico has some of the strictest gun control laws, and in 2012 they had 11,309 gun murders (9.97 gun homicides per 100,000 people) compared to the United States that had 9,146 gun homicides (2.97 per 100,000 people). Stricter gun control laws do not equate to lower gun related death rates.