Gavin R. Minnesota

Gun Control in America

Gun control in america affects everyone even if you don't own a gun.

Guns in America

Politicians keep on trying to take our guns away because they think the that more guns we have the more people kill each other.Gun control is an important part of this country because it changes the country and makes it so much different than lots of other countries, and even if you don’t own a gun it will still affect everyone in the country. I believe that gun control is an issue that we need to work out sooner rather than later so that it doesn’t keeping on becoming the center of so much conflict.

Paragraph 2

I believe that we don’t need to take away guns. I believe this because guns aren’t the problem the people that own the guns are. If there are deaths involving guns it’s because people that shouldn’t have had them or weren’t responsible enough to have them got their hands on a gun. Studies have shown that 1% of the world's population are psychopaths and 4% are sociopaths (Stout). This is important because if you think about it that is at least 300 million people that should never have a gun. But then there is also underage people, people with problems before such as drinking or abusive. Then that adds up to a lot of people you can get a gun that shouldn't own a gun. That can get a gun and do bad things with. There are also more statistics that help explain why taking away guns will help with murder rates. Taking guns away doesn’t necessarily mean that less people will die, Such as when Britain banned guns their murder rates didn’t go down but they still went up. “Now that modern handguns are no longer legal to have in the UK, let us take a look at some murder rates. The rate for intentional homicide in the UK in 1996—the year of the Dunblane Massacre—was 1.12 per 100,000. It was 1.24 in 1997, when the Firearms Act went into effect, and 1.43 in 1998. The rate rose to a peak of 2.1 in 2002 and has fallen since to 1.23 as of 2010. These numbers have, however, been called into question due to possible under-reporting of violent crimes in the UK”. "10 Arguments Against Gun Control - Listverse." Listverse. N.p., 11 Dec. 2013. Web. 22 Jan. 2016. This matters because lots of people think that taking away guns will no matter what make murder rates go down. But this shows that that’s not always the case because sometimes it’s like what happened in Britain.

Paragraph 3

Some people might disagree with this and say something such as “what if it’s not locked properly and a kid accidentally injures themselves” or “There are gun malfunctions that can cause injuries or even death”. Also when Australia banned guns, gun murder rates went down by 59% in the first decade alone. "Australia vs United States Crime Stats Compared." NationMaster.com. NationMaster, n.d. Web. 22 Jan. 2016. This matters because it shows an example of how gun control can help with murder rates.Though banning guns might have worked for Australia I do not think that it will work as well for america because of how easy it is to go to another country and sneak one back. So instead of targeting the guns we should try to target the people that own the guns.

Paragraph 4

I think that the president should address this issue because it is a big issue that has been talked about for a long time. It is also the “4th most important issue in America” behind Terrorism,Dissatisfaction with government, and Economy, so it would be something that is high on the next president's priority because it is one thing that could be resolved quickly if we put the time into in. US News. U.S.News & World Report, n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016 He should make it so that it is more difficult to get a gun for most people, such as background checks and need a gun license with safety classes at least once per year. One of the Global goals that this connects to is, Good health and well being. This is because this is supposed to help with people doing bad things with guns, so that they don’t hurt others. It could help ensure peace to everyone if people that might do some bad stuff with them.

Citations

"Australia vs United States Crime Stats Compared." NationMaster.com. NationMaster, n.d. Web. 22 Jan. 2016

"10 Arguments Against Gun Control - Listverse." Listverse. N.p., 11 Dec. 2013. Web. 22 Jan. 2016.

Stout, Martha. "The Sociopath Next Door by by Martha Stout: Summary and Reviews." BookBrowse.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Jan. 2016.

US News. U.S.News & World Report, n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016

This is another big reason why America shouldn't take away our guns. Because this would leave the citizens of America defenseless and vulnerable to attacks if the military can't help or has been taken out.

Chaska Middle School East

Mrs. Johnson's 8th Grade Global Studies

Global Studies class letters connecting national issues to the UN's Global Goals.