ZSamuel Louisiana

Unfair Immigration Policies

Unfair immigration policies and the lack of reform are causing many issues that need to be addressed.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

Jose Serrano, a member of the U.S. House of Representatives, once said, “We must do everything in our power to keep families together, and use common sense in our immigration laws. Children deserve better than to lose a parent because of an inflexible law.” Without addressing the issue of immigration, unfortunate situations like this could occur. Some key issues about immigration were brought to my attention by the presidential debate. One of these issues is the pathway to citizenship, another is large scale immigration raids. Overall, I believe that you should develop a fair immigration policy.

To begin, our work force is slightly dwindling. Developing a fair immigration policy could strengthen the American workforce. Immigrants looking for work should be able to acquire positions that are available and help out the economy; in fact, many of these people are willing to accept lower paying labor jobs which reduces overhead for local thriving businesses. According to Nate Birt of Gale, “The dwindling workforce is nothing new.” This shows that the right actions taken, can strengthen our country. Likewise, immigration reform can carve a better path to citizenship and overall make the process of immigration better. Reihan Salam of General Onefile states that “those who advocate increased immigration levels and the granting of legal status to unauthorized immigrants are partisans of “comprehensive immigration reform.” This shows that there are people who are willing and believe in helping immigrants. Finally, children should not be at risk of losing their families due to untimely deportations. Family is extremely important and “...huge numbers of children are at risk of losing their undocumented parents.” Families are at risk of being broken because of unfair policies.

This is important because no one deserves to lose their loved ones, and family values are a staple in American culture. As the leader of the free world, reform policies that can help strengthen this country and hold families together are priority if we are to grow in unity and secure a better future for all. 

Zoe Samuel