Jose Colorado

Undocumented Immigrants

The US should help undocumented immigrants get on the road to citizenship.

There are an estimated 11.4 million undocumented immigrants in the US. Many undocumented immigrants in the US have the fear of being deported. Also, many undocumented children also have the fear of being separated from their families.

Many people, including Donald Trump, have said we need some sort of deportation force or that we should build a wall. Some bad things about having a deportation force is it could cost up to $300 billion dollars to deport all 11.4 million immigrants. Also, deporting all 11.4 million immigrants that work, own businesses, and pay taxes could reduce the nation’s gross product to $1 trillion dollars (Bennett 1). Some bad things about building a wall are the estimated cost to build it would be $25 billion dollars. Also, many laws would need to be broken since the wall would cross into people’s property.

To resolve the problem of undocumented immigrants in the US, the United States government should create a program to get undocumented immigrants on the road to citizenship. The reason we should do this is it is way cheaper than building a $25 billion dollar wall or to spend $300 billion dollars to deport 11.4 million immigrants.

Lastly, undocumented immigrants don’t come to this country to steal jobs, they come to the US to make a better life for themselves or for their families. This is why I think the US government should help undocumented immigrants become US citizens.