Bethaney B. Colorado

The Mindset of Poverty

How children in poverty are raised in a world separate from the stable ones, and why the future should make this a priority.

As a child, my single mother worked three jobs to support my sister and I so we can go to a private school, and stay at our apartment. During this time, we lost our washer and dryer. Because of my mom’s intense work schedule, we only had time to go to the laundromat once or twice a month. This led to a lot of bullies targeting my sister and I, because we always had dirty, drabby clothes.

As a president, your job is to protect this country so that we, the citizens, may have the future we want to have. In 2015, 19.7% of children were living in poverty (United States Census Bureau). That means that 19.7% of our children may not have had washers and dryers either. Without having basic necessities for an American life, such as food, water, electricity, shelter, or even internet, the possibility of the kids who don’t have these things meeting their full potential is slim. I mean, how can a child learn and grow properly if they are malnourished, dehydrated, and/or homeless.

Even if a family gets by without much food, and with their washer and dryer, the psychological effects of this type of a situation on a child is apparent. According to the American Psychological Association, children who have suffered through poverty have a higher risk of poor academic achievement, abuse, neglect, and can lead to further physical health problems.

With your new role as the President, how will you treat your children? Will you work hard to make sure they don’t starve like my mother worked hard to make sure my sister and I didn't?

Bethaney