Cameron B. Texas

Illegal Immigration

Illegal Immigrants don't deserve equal rights because they're slowly making the US a worse country

Dear Future President of the United States,

Illegal Immigration in the United States has become a huge problem for the well being of its citizens. Illegal Immigrants shouldn’t have equal rights because they increase the crime rate of the US, take away careers from actual American Citizens, and make the US more vulnerable to terrorism.

Immigrants that enter the US illegally don’t deserve equal rights because the crime rate in the US has increased significantly over the past few years. Many of the criminals that commit these crimes are foreign immigrants that come from another country illegally. The US is becoming more dangerous as more immigrants enter the country illegally. “ Statistics show the estimated 11.7 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. account for 13.6 percent of all offenders sentenced for crimes committed in the U.S. Twelve percent of murder sentences, 20 percent of kidnapping sentences and 16 percent of drug trafficking sentences are meted out to illegal immigrants.” [Zimmerman] This shows the immense threat illegal immigrants can have on the citizens of the US. We need to keep the citizens safe from these kinds of situations.

Another reason they don’t deserve equal rights is because they take away many career opportunities for people who were originally born in the US. Actual American Citizens that were born in the US deserve jobs that many of the foreign people from other countries have already taken. “Illegal immigrants take jobs away from American citizens. According to a review of U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and Census Bureau data, legal and illegal immigrants gained over a million additional jobs between 2008 and 2010 even as millions of American citizens were losing their jobs during that same time period.” [18 illegal immigrant facts] Many American Citizens have already lost their jobs to illegal immigrants. Citizens who were born in the US have the right to their own respective jobs. Those jobs are meant for the American people.

The final reason why illegal immigrants don’t deserve equal rights is because they can make the US more vulnerable to terrorism. Terrorism is already a frightening topic that endangers the lives of American Citizens. To even have the chance of terrorism increasing in the US is one of the most petrifying things that can ever impact the country. “With at least 8 million illegal aliens living in the United States and nearly one million new aliens arriving each year, the potential for terrorists entering the United States undetected is high.” [10 pros and cons] Because the illegal aliens coming into the country are increasing, the chance of a terrorist coming into the country also increases. “But according to a 2006 report from the House Committee on Homeland Security, an increasing number of illegal immigrants from nations known to produce, train and harbor Islamic terrorists are using the Southwest border as a gateway to the United States.” [Terrorists Other Illegal Immigrants] The US needs to regulate the number of illegal immigrants that enter the US and whether or not they gain equal rights.

All in all, illegal immigrants don’t deserve equal rights because they increase the crime rate in the US, take away jobs from citizens who were originally born in the US, and make the US more vulnerable to terrorism. We need to determine whether or not they deserve equal rights so the US can become a better place.

Thank you for your time,

Cameron Bui