Hunter T. Texas

Wage Gap

The wage gap is terrible for our economy and we need to make a change.

The wage gap is completely real, a report from payscale shows that women make an average of 74 cents to a man’s whole dollar, now that may not sound like a lot but if a man makes $100,000 a woman will make an average of $26,000 less. Women also beggin making less at the start of their careers and see their yearly earnings peak much earlier, meaning their lifetime earnings are incredibly lower than their male counterparts. A study from the Center for American Progress found that 40 percent of the pay gap, or about 10 cents on the dollar (about $4,500 per year for those making median salary), was “unexplained.” According to experts, there is no measurable reason for the rest of this difference in pay. It could be a wide range of factors, including overt sexism.

The wage gap needs to be closed, Closing the gender pay gap benefits employers and workers. Equality between women and men is vital for the creation of quality jobs. Introducing a gender perspective can help companies to recruit and retain the best employees, create a positive work environment and gain the confidence of their employees, make the best use of human resources and improve productivity and competitiveness, have a better public image and higher shareholder value and a wider and more satisfied customer base.-according to the European commission of justice. According to economist Heidi Hartmann, If the gap were to close and women were to be paid the difference, it is estimated that the stimulus effect would grow the U.S. economy by at least three to four percentage points. The $800 billion economic stimulus package that Congress passed in 2009 to bail banks out of the recession, by contrast, is estimated to have grown the GDP by less than 1.5 percent overall. As you can see, if the wage gap is closed it would be good for everyone, not just women.

Therefore I think that you ought to prohibit wage gap in the United States.

Hunter T.