Julian Minnesota

Police brutality in America

Police should be prosecuted for their actions

I'm writing to you today to inform you about an very important issue in America. As you may know police brutality is a serious matter at the moment. Due to recent killings of unarmed men like Trayvon Martin, Philando Castile, and Mike Brown not to mention the hundreds more unarmed people who were gunned down by law enforcement officials using overly aggressive force.

I don't agree that all the shootings are based on hate for the other nationality; I feel that it’s police in general thinking they have more authority and can control anyone else, but in some cases it is about race.

Another big issue is police aren't getting punished for their crimes even if they were guilty. According to mappingpolicebrutality.org, 97% of cases in 2015 did not result in any officers being charged or prosecuted for their crimes. I don't feel that police are punished equally compared to a civilian. Most police don't serve time they get a paid leave from duty. Police need to be charged as if they were normal citizens.

Racism is still a big factor in America racism lives on today and police using aggressive force against people of color. According to mappingpoliceviolence.org, 37% of people unarmed that were killed by police were African and American. Only 10 of the 102 cases where an unarmed black person were killed led to police led to police being charged. For example, the Philando Castile case in Minnesota the officer shot Philando for reaching into his pocket to grab his license to carry. I feel like all police should wear cameras to show the truth of their actions so they can see the truth of the situation instead of going of hear say. And all cases should be looked at more carefully by the courts.

Police should be held accountable for their actions just like any other person would just because a person is a cop doesn't mean you can murder.

Julian Hendricks

St. Paul Central High School

Approaching Analysis - Hours 2 and 3

This is a sophomore honors class at St. Paul Central High School in St. Paul, Minnesota.