Logan H. California

Plastic Pollution

Biodegradable plastic can help reduce plastic waste.

Dear Donald John Trump,

In our ocean, their is a large mass of plastic drifting around the world the size of Texas. Plastic pollution is a big problem we've been facing since 1907. Most plastic that is littered ends up in our ocean, even if it is properly disposed. By using biodegradable plastic, we can clean up our planet slowly but steadily.

Plastic pollution can harm or kill marine life. Fish can consume plastic as a choking hazard or get trapped inside of it. When a predator of those fish including us consume it, that predator can be harmed because of one person. Plastic can also wash up on shore to our cities and beaches which will quite possibly end up back in the ocean. Overall, plastic is a big hazard to our planet earth.

If the plastic producers switch to using biodegradable plastic then it will be able to decompose in 4-6 months instead of 450-1000 years. Also, biodegradable plastic can be eaten by marine life as a source of food. If the plastic factories switch to biodegradable plastic in 2017, then in the years between 2467-3017 we will have much much less pollution. The Saltwater Brewery uses biodegradable 6-pack rings that are edible because they're made of barley and wheat.

Our planet is being more polluted each day with plastic that will circulate our planet for hundreds of years. By using biodegradable plastic, our planet will be cleaner each and every day.

Logan H.

Peterson Middle School

8th Grade ELA

Middle School students from 8th Grade English