Meera M. California

Medical Care is a RIGHT, Not a Privilege

Medical care should not be a privilege but rather a right for all people - no matter what race or gender...

Medical care is a luxury that most people have and take for granted. But it’s not so for a lot of people in the world. In the US, nearly 9 million people gained insurance last year, a win for “Obamacare” as the president’s signature healthcare law expanded Medicaid and opened health insurance exchanges. And yet, 33 million Americans, 10.4 percent of the U.S. population, still went without health insurance for the entirety of 2014. Millions more were uninsured for at least part of the year (fivethirtyeight.com). " If you look at the human condition today, not everyone is well fed, has access to good medical care, or the physical basics that provide for a healthy and a happy life (Ralph Merkle)." With so many advancements in technology and thriving achievements in the medical field, why are so many people not receiving the care they need. The care they have a right to. I believe that no matter who the person is - no matter what race or gender they are - they have the right to medical care, especially in their senior years.

Many people around the world do not receive the medical care they need. "Today we have a health insurance industry where the first and foremost goal is to maximize profits for shareholders and CEOs, not to cover patients who have fallen ill or to compensate doctors and hospitals for their services. It is an industry that is increasingly concentrated and where Americans are paying more to receive less (Dianne Feinstein)." So who are the uninsured? Seven million of the 33 million uninsured people are undocumented immigrants between the ages 65 and older who work only some of the time (fiftythirtyeight.com). Why is this particular group in the uninsured section? After 65 years, the human body wears down and is unable to work at its best. This causes a decrease in salary because the work is not that great. With lower salary, it is harder to pay for health insurance.

So how can we solve this problem? I say that medical care should be free to people over 65 years old. Seniors should be able to experience medical care for the medical issues they have when they age. Older and senior people are the most vulnerable to health issues and conditions so they should receive medical care after they reach their retirement. All health insurance should offer reduced or free access to medical care and surgery to support theses people. Clinics should also offer emergency care and surgery for low prices.

Future president, don't you also think that the lives of our seniors are as important as the youth of our country? Don't they deserve medical care for all they have done? This issue is important and I hope that you think it is worth solving.

Sincerely, Meera

Peterson Middle School

8th Grade ELA

Middle School students from 8th Grade English