Christopher C. California

Immigrants come to the USA not to stir up trouble, but to escape from poverty and start a new life. So why are we not helping them?

Dear Madame/ Mr. President

I’m currently a junior at Santa Clara High School in California. I am concerned with the controversial issue of immigration. Although this issue does not affect me directly, I still have very strong feelings about it. In my opinion, illegal immigrants, Mexicans in particular should be allowed to reside in the country, while being given the opportunity of the American Dream. According to various researchers, Mexicans make up 52% of illegal immigrants. A candidate for this year's election, Donald trump says “they’re rapists, bringing drugs, and increasing the crime rate.” He is stereotyping all Mexicans as drug lords and criminals. However, all Mexicans aren’t drug lords, they’re just people in search of a better life in America. They left their home country because they faced extremely difficult situations. Therefore, why is he suggesting to build a wall? He wants them to stay in Mexico and continue to suffer while we Americans just sit at home and do nothing to help. Some Mexicans cannot pay the amount needed to enter the country through legal means, so they are forced to try and enter illegally. Their reasons for coming aren’t to stir up problems, but only to hope for a new beginning. Throughout history, America has solved immigration problems, so this is not new to us. During the late 19th century, immigrants from primarily China came to America in hopes of a new start. It may have been rough for these immigrants, but it all worked out in the end. This problem is not new to us and we have successfully handled it before, so I don’t see why the government isn’t handling it the correct way now. 

"There should not be a question of legal or illegal immigration. People came and immigrated to this country from the time of the Indians. No one's illegal. They should just be able to come."   ---Linda Ronstadt

I propose to you, a government or non-profit organization that can help these immigrants get up on their feet after years of hardship. I thank you for the time reading this letter. I hope you value my opinion and take  it into consideration.