David New York

Gun Violence is on the Rise

There were 372 mass shootings in the US in 2015, killing 475 people and wounding 1,870. If you are on a no fly list in the U.S., you should not be able to buy a gun.

We as a country need to address the issue of gun violence. We need to protect our people and also our law enforcers. We as a country need to make some solutions to help gun violence.

Let's start with a terrorist watch list. If you are on a no fly list, In the U.S., you should not be able to buy a gun. I'm talking about the person who probably has a criminal record in another country or is being hunted down by people and is hiding in our country from them. They will buy guns because they are scared and want to feel protected. The worst mass shooting in America happened on June 12, 2016. 49 people were shot dead and 53 were wounded. The gunman. Omar Mateen, tried to become a law enforcer but in March 2015, Indian River State College denied Mateen entry into the law enforcement academy, according to records obtained from the college. The letter states "information was discovered" that caused Mateen's application to be denied. A person like that should not be able to purchase a gun. They should've looked closely to his background and denied the right for him to purchase a gun.

There were 372 mass shootings in the US in 2015, killing 475 people and wounding 1,870, according to the Mass Shooting Tracker, which catalogues such incidents.There were 64 school shootings in 2015. Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015, according to the Gun Violence Archive, and 26,819 people were injured [those figures exclude suicide]. These figures are likely to rise by several hundred, once incidents in the final week of the year are counted. No official figure exists but there are thought to be about 300 million guns in the US, held by about a third of the population. That is nearly enough guns for every man, woman and child in the country. Everyone of the stats are expected to rise in the future. Its expected to rise because of terrorism, racial issues, and also violence against gangs.

Next President, we need to make some solutions to this. Here are some. First, sensible gun laws. Ban high capacity magazines, expand the 24 hour background check to make it universal, and re-institute the assault weapons bans immediately. People in the U.S. should not be able to purchase an assault rifle. They should be banned immediately. Those guns are meant for the Army. Not for citizens in the United States. Handguns should be able to be purchased in stores,but you will have to have a very clean record in order to buy it. The background check should be the most important part of the purchase. You don't want to put a weapon in the wrong hands.

To the next President, we as a country need to make a change in the gun law. There are too many innocent people getting killed. The statistics should decrease in the future not increase. What if it was your loved one that got shot and killed for no reason?

Respectfully,

David

Scholchet, Catherine. “North Miami shooting: Officer who shot unarmed man identified.” http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/22/us/north-miami-police-charles-kinsey-shooting/

Ana Swanson, and Kennedy elliott. “One map shows why America’s gun violence is so much worse than anywhere else.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/03/one-map-shows-why-americas-gun-violence-is-so-much-worse-than-anywhere-else/

Troy High School

Mr. Mo's Amazing English Students

Each of my students has a voice that needs to be heard. These are the minds and hearts that will help shape our country's future. All student writing, audio, video and artwork is 100% original and supported with in-depth research. Enjoy their incredible work.