Lyanna Valerio New York

Pollution: A serious Problem, No actions Taken

Although technology makes everyday tasks much easier, the effects of these man-made objects, such as factories and cars, are disastrous and lead to pollution, which causes global warming, health risks, and animal extinction.

Dear Next President,                                                                                                       11/4/16

The heartlessness of humans have caused the percentage of pollution in the air to sky rocket in the past 50 years, not only destroying the planet but everything in it, such as animal habitats, as well. Pollution is the introduction of harmful substances that has poisonous effects into the environment and over the years it has become a serious problem. We, as humans, have a major contribution to how much pollution is in the environment, and as technology advances, the pollution increases. Although technology makes everyday tasks much easier, the effects of these man-made objects, such as factories and cars, are disastrous and lead to pollution, which causes global warming, health risks, and animal extinction.

Air pollution is a result of the activities humans do on Earth: “As humans burn the fossil fuels [like natural gas and coal] that power cars and heat homes, miniscule particles escape into the atmosphere. These particles form black carbon, which is one of the most common forms of air pollution” (Air 1).  Air pollution has a devastating effect on the environment because of the chain of events that occur as soon as pollutants are entered into the environment. The article states, "According to the scientific theory, the burning of fossil fuels causes an excess of carbon dioxide in the air. This dense layer of gas blankets the planet and holds in hot air, producing what scientists call the ‘greenhouse effect’. As a result, Earth’s average temperature is rising. Rising temperatures not only lead to hotter summers but also cause the polar ice caps to quickly melt" (Air 1). Since the ice caps are melting the sea level will rise significantly causing the borders of countries to slowly disappear and soon be completely underwater. As this progresses we lose more land each year which has a crucial effect on mankind because the population of humans are increasing gradually and as the amounts of people increase, so does the amount of space we need.  

Pollution doesn’t only affect the planet, but the humans that occupy most of the earth, as well: "Human beings rely on air to live and breathe, yet they are largely responsible for creating the pollution that makes air unhealthy for themselves and all living things” (Air 1). Scientists believe that most urban pollutants have a many effects, however, health problems are one of the most concerning ones. The article reveals that "Evidence is mounting that a number of man-made chemicals can cause serious health problems—including cancer, damage to the immune system, behavioral problems, and reduced fertility" (Ocean 3). In polluted atmospheres a variety of bronchial diseases were enhanced, as well as respiratory diseases. Excessive concentrations of carbon monoxide in cities means that the human heart must work harder to make up for the oxygen displaced (Air 1). This extra stress on the heart doesn’t go unnoticed as incidents of complaints among people with heart problems increases. The World Health Organization noted a connection between high air pollution rates and increases in lung and other cancers. This organization estimates that approximately 7 million people die per year prematurely from illnesses that associate with or have been worsened by air pollution (Air 3) .

Like we have a major contribution to pollution, pollution has a major contribution to wildlife. The article conveys, "A staggering amount of waste—much of which has only existed for the past 60 years or so—enters the oceans each year. Over 80% of marine pollution comes from land-based activities” (Ocean 1). This pollution in oceans is slowly destroying the creatures in the ocean and their habitats: "[One way we are hurting them is by] plastic garbage, which decomposes very slowly, is often mistaken for food by marine animals. High concentrations of plastic material, particularly plastic bags, have been found blocking the breathing passages and stomachs of many marine species, including whales, dolphins, seals, puffins, and turtles. Plastic six-pack rings for drink bottles can also choke marine animals” (Ocean 2). The article also states, "[Another way we are hurting them is by] chemicals… entering the sea from land-based activities. Chemicals can escape into water, soil, and air during their manufacture, use, or disposal, as well as from accidental leaks or fires in products containing these chemicals. Once in the environment, they can travel for long distances in air and water, including ocean currents” (Ocean 3). Thus, our activities affect all living things, on land or not.

Despite all the facts that prove man-made pollution is a serious and concerning problem, few people, including politicians,  don’t believe in it: "[Trump] told 'Fox and friends' earlier this year that climate change 'is just a very, very expensive form of tax. A lot of people are making a lot of money’...Trump's stance on climate change, of course, puts him at odds with the vast majority of the world's scientists who agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are likely a result of human activity and are playing out in the form of rising seas, growing carbon dioxide emissions and melting glaciers" (Believer 1). Later he goes on to admit that there may be climate change, however he says he is not a great believer in man-made climate change. Another article also shows that "[Yes, earth’s temperature is not consistent,] earth’s temperature has changed and shifted throughout its long history; however, the speed of the modern climate shift has led the large majority of the world’s scientists to conclude that human activity is causing the climate change" (Air 2).

We have a lot of influence on the planet and everything in it, therefore, we need to be more cautious with our actions and devote a small portion of our time helping the planet we need to survive. There are many measures people can take to help the environment: "While few scientists disagree that air pollution poses a serious threat to the environment, policy makers and citizens are often at odds as to how to address the problem” (Air 1). Although there are solar panels which is an advanced  way to produce electricity, objects like solar panels and electric vehicles are much too expensive for many american households to afford. We need to create more efficient and effective ways that are inexpensive and don’t harm the environment, but still make our lives easier.                                

Good luck In Office,

Lyanna V.

VS North HS

Italiano/Suarez Per 2

These letters were written by 9th grade students. They spent two weeks researching issues and one week learning how to write an argument letter. This was the first project of this magnitude that they have ever experienced, they learned a lot, and they are very happy to be done! Thank you for reading.