Carlos C. New York

Does the internet really have eyes?

What rights do the people have on the government?What exactly are the government's limits when snooping around?

Dear Mr. or Madam President,

I spend a lot of my time on the internet on using modern technology. I browse to Facebook, YouTube, Google, Snapchat, Instagram and many other sites.  I never share my password with anyone I don't trust cause I don't want people going into my things and checking what or where I've been. But for some reason I feel like no matter how many how passwords I put, I still feel like there's someone watching me. 

It's no mystery that the government is able to see all your information on the internet such as what you're posting on Facebook,emails or what you're searching up on google. But the real mystery is what aren't they looking at? This is an issue because it cause paranoia and it makes the people distrust the government even more. We can't have a nation founded on unity if the people can't trust their own government. So the question is, what rights do we have when on the internet?

Whenever the government invades our privacy they say it's for our safety our national security purposes. Our personal privacy  is protected by the 4th amendment. The right  to search and seizure. This means the government can't search anything without a warrant. This protects our privacy in the outside world, but what about the internet? The government has the power to go into our stuff without permission, so does the right to search and seizure not apply there too? What are the limits of the government?

There have been various cases where internet privacy has been an issue. For example in 2013 there was a case against Google because photographs were taking people's emails, passwords and other personal info.  United States citizens  said Google had violated their privacy and was illegally wiretapping them. This is an invasion of their privacy.  

Mr. or Madam president, all this confusion on what the government can or cannot look at is causing great distrust within our nation. In order to resolve this I believe you should talk with the people and and the government to get a clear understanding  of what goes on in the internet. This can rebuild the unity and this trust this country was founded on.

Carlos Coreas.

East-West School of International Studies

Government - 2nd Period

East-West School of International Studies 12th Grade Government Class