Timothy New York

Black Lives Matter

My name is Timothy and I would like for Hillary to read this and help solve this number one issue in our country today. As we all know innocent Blacks are being killed by cops too often; it seems like every day we lose someone we really love. In this letter I will let everyone know how we African Americans are treated in our country, and hopefully we can get some support from our very own Hillary Clinton.

Dear Hillary,

I would like to address a problem that bothers me and a lot of people. Innocent African Americans are being killed by police; this problem is starting to spread everywhere. All over the country there has been black lives and families destroyed by this behavior. Based on my research, “In 2015 about 102 unarmed African Americans were killed by police nearly twice a week." It also states that 37% of unarmed people killed by police were black in 2015, despite blacks only being 13% of the United States population.

African Americans have had enough. We are always targeted and treated unequally. I feel like this issue is the most important above any issue there is. Bottom line African American men are being slayed in the streets on a daily basis. Today I woke up and I turned on the news to see what the time was, and there it was, another African American shot and killed by an officer in Tulsa,OK. This is BS. Why do I have to wake up and hear that another one of my brothas was killed, and who in the government is trying to help us? It’s seems like police can do whatever they want to us because they are never guilty, and they can still keep their job. I really want this to stop because if this keeps going on, there will be no hope for the future, sooner or later there will be riots everywhere, and I can see it now, just like the Watts Riot, times ten. That would be embarrassing.  Our own American people fighting each other in our country because we can’t bury this beef between blacks and ignorant white men; this has been going on since the early 1900s, and here we are now. Will it ever stop, or will we demolish our own country and destroy everything our founding fathers created?

Black lives are deprived of our basic human rights and dignity.  In a speech by Jesse Williams, an expert activist, stated, “We’ve been floating this country on credit for centuries, yo. And we’re done watching and waiting while this invention called whiteness uses and abuses us, burying black people out of sight and out of mind while extracting our culture, our dollars, our entertainment, like oil, black gold. Ghettoizing and demeaning our creations, then stealing them, gentrifying our genius, and then trying us on like costumes before discarding our bodies like rinds of strange fruit."  African Americans still have to deal with this problem called racism; we’ve been dealing with this since the birth of America and it still goes on today and innocent lives are being lost because of a ignorance.

Hillary i just want this to stop so we Americans can get along with each other and learn how to help one another; we just want to live our lives and be happy and appreciate everything we have because happiness is what matters most.

Timothy

http://blacklivesmatter.com/

http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/ 

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-st-jesse-williams-bet-annotated-20160627-snap-htmlstory.html

Troy High School

Mr. Mo's Amazing English Students

Each of my students has a voice that needs to be heard. These are the minds and hearts that will help shape our country's future. All student writing, audio, video and artwork is 100% original and supported with in-depth research. Enjoy their incredible work.