Vincent X. New York

Gun control has been a problem for a long time and it has resulted in many deaths of the innocent people of the United States.

Dear Future President of the United States,

Gun control has been a problem in the United States for a long time. People having guns mean that more people will get killed or hurt from these deadly weapons. Over the past decade, 100,000 have been killed by the result of gun violence and millions more have been the victims of assaults, robberies, and other crimes involving a gun. The death toll over the past decade shows that the people who use guns aren’t supposed to have their hands on a gun anyway are really brutal when it comes to killing people.

This issue about gun control is very important because not only does guns kill Americans in their own country, it hurts the country’s pride. Other countries will think that we don’t have a good way of restricting guns because according to the article Fareed Zakaria wrote for the Washington Post, our gun homicide rate is several dozens higher than most of the industrialized countries. For example, our homicide rate is fifty times higher than Germany’s. The article thinks that most of the gun massacres were caused by people who either has or had mental illness and he thinks that we just didn’t have enough restrictions on guns because he said that we have fifty times more gun homicides, but we don’t have fifty times more mentally disturbed people than Germany, we just have many more guns than them. I think this is really important to all Americans because we don’t want to look like a country without control of usage of guns.

This issue is important to others in their own way, but to me I think it is important because I really don’t want any of my family members or friends to get hurt or even killed because of not having restricted gun control. Also, seeing innocent people just die because mentally disturbed people losing their minds to come up with the idea of killing other people because they just gave up on life since something might had happened in the past. In addition, I want to feel safe in the country I will live in for the rest of my life instead of fearing people who will try and assault me with a gun. I have noticed that there were many gun shootings near the environment I go to everyday so it’s just horrifying to worry about someone trying to kill you.

After all this information, you must be thinking what I want you to change. I want you to have a better control of guns and make restrictions for people having hands on guns. In order for this to happen, you should make the background checks when people buy guns more stronger because people these days are very smart so they can fake their background. The reason why we need detailed background checks is because we need to know if the person doesn’t have any crime record to make the environment safer. Also, include more mental health treatment since most people who kills people with guns have a mental illness so if you have a better treatment for people who are like this, then we might lower the gun homicides in this country. Although the resources for having this treatment is a lot, but I think it’s worth it to lower the amount of lives that the illed people take from innocent people. This will also gain back our country’s pride since it shows we can learn from our past mistakes and recover from it efficiently. I hope you think about my request because it is a very important and dangerous issue in the United States. Good luck on four years of leading our country into greatness.

Vincent Xu

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.