James Connecticut

gun violence

I am concerned because there have been many innocent people killed this may be because of possible untrained police officers.

I am a high school senior and an undecided voter. The topic I would like to speak with you about is gun violence and police brutality. I would like to know how you will help the U.S. citizens with this dangerous issue. I am concerned because there have been many innocent people killed and I am wondering if it is possible that it is partly due to untrained or undertrained police officers. I am not a police officer, but I think that some people have racial bias and may think that people are doing something wrong and are afraid of them because of reputations or the color of their skin. They may crack under the pressure and accidentally shoot them due to panic. An example of gun violence and racial discrimination is the Trayvon Martin case. In this case, a teenager was walking in his own neighborhood at night when a neighborhood watchman open fired because he thought Martin had a gun. What I believe you could do to help this situation is increase police training, including trying to eliminate racial bias within the police forces across the country.

Greenwich High School

English Lit and Comp 3

Eng Lit and Comp 3