Jason C. New York

The law should Treat Minors differently.

Should Minors who commit serious crimes be treated less severely than adults?

Dear Mr. or Madame President,

First and foremost my name is Jason Colon and I'm a senior who attends East-West School of International Studies. As of now I'm taking this class named Participation In Government, and this class we discuss major events and news going on with the government. I could truly admit before this class I wasn't a very active watcher of latest news in detail, however now I've started to and am aware of the problems within society.  Today I would like to write about a problem that interests me deeply since it's very debatable. 

In the past few years, juvenile crime has increased vigorously which is a horrible sight. Committing serious crimes is bad enough but, now Minors are committing serious crimes not even adults. The Justice Department estimates about 10 percent of all homicides are committed by juvenile under the age 18. For, example, if a teen commits a murder what is your first reaction? Anyone would say he or she is guilty. However the real question is how was their state of mind when they did commit the crime. Were they pressured into it? Hormones are also a factor in this situation because when any teenager goes through puberty their bound to have all different types of feelings that could be happiness, love, depression even hatred. One little mistake they make which they barely had control over and they lose their whole lives because of it. Another reason a teen might commit any serious crime is their past. The minor could have had a horrific childhood that could've impacted them so much that forced them to result to a life a crime.

Furthermore, my recommended solution to you Mr or Mrs, President is to help the children in need. Thousands of children grow up in messed up families and run down homes, and it's hard for them to grow up. Without growing up in a stable home with love and affection kids will result to hanging with the wrong crowds and end up getting into serious crimes they don't mean to do. That's why I think you as the president should help any children who are from broken homes and or if their very poor by providing them with better homes to live in. Do you really want any minor living in the jail for the rest of their life for a mistake that wasn't their fault think about it. 

Jason Colon

East-West School of International Studies

Government - 2nd Period

East-West School of International Studies 12th Grade Government Class