Zaynah S. California

Experiencing Islamophobia as a Muslim teen

This letter is a message to the future POTUS urging him or her to take action against Islamophobia.

As many teens probably do, I spend a good chunk of my free time on social media. Lately, I have seen many videos and photos that portray false statements about Islam. These days, media is very widespread and can have a great influence on our thoughts and actions. As a Muslim teen, I have experienced bullying due to these false statements. As children, we are taught that we should respect each other’s viewpoints, even if we don’t agree with them. The First Amendment gives Americans the freedom to practice whatever religion they choose. However, most Muslims don’t feel safe about practicing their religion, due to being called a “terrorist” or associated with ISIS. Hopefully, as the next President, you could work on telling people that Muslims are not what people see in the media and ending discrimination against Muslims.

When I was in the 7th grade, I was a victim of bullying due to my religion. There were times at school where I did not feel safe. As a result, I only had one friend that accepted me for who I was. I am very fortunate to be living in the United States, where there is a lot of diversity and people are very accepting of one another. I wish this were the case with Muslims.

Future President, I want you to open your eyes and get to know a Muslim. I want you to go beyond the media and actually learn more about Islam on your own. Maybe you might learn a thing or two that you didn't know before. Future President, can you please do this for me and other Muslims living in America?

Zaynah