victoria California

On Police brutality and Race issue

This is my letter on Police brutality and race issue

Nov. 7, 2016

I would like to address the situation with race issue and the police brutality that’s happening around the US today. It’s actually getting pretty bad because now people are getting dragged into more violence around the U.S- like you all have heard, now these issues have started the “Black-lives-matter” movement.

Both issues are very important because even people are still racist to other races today. I mean it's just sad to read that a black boy born today in the United States has a life expectancy five years shorter that of a white boy. We clearly have a problem in America.

In a study, 90 percent of white people show inherent racial bias for what white people versus the black people. When young black men are shot and killed by white officers and triggered with their lives. A study by the University of California, Davis professor found evidence how black Americans, unharmed, and shot by police is about 3.49 times then being white American unharmed, and shot by police, Black is having a race issue, the Mexican people have it rough too. Just yesterday I saw this video about this lady getting yelled by this other lady because the Mexican worker was talking in Spanish and the other lady took it in a bad way I guess and started telling her that we only talk in English in America. The fact the Mexicans are doing those dirty, hard jobs the white people won't dare to do is unbelievable and like people say Mexican people take our jobs, in reality we don't we just try to raise our family so our kids won't suffer in the future. The Police brutality has gotten out of control because now cops are seen as murders, not as people you would go for help which is sad knowing some people can’t trust the cops. In 1999 about 420,000 older than 16 were at least estimated to have had contact with police in which force or the threat of force was used. Not all cops harmed people they just try to help with the problem you're dealing with. All those cops that were blame because of the killing of an African America have families waiting at home and they were just trying to protect themselves too, you know they can't be standing there risking their life too. But some cops still act like African Americans don't matter in this world which is not fair ("Police Brutality, Misconduct, and Shootings, www.nytimes.com). 

I know this percent of people has increased today since there's been a lot of accidents in which police were involved. It could be said that this is racism or it could also be seen as lower class people being seen as criminals because of their profiled or how they loo. Anyways, I agree with those who want this police brutality to end. Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton recently talked about how the violence towards the police has broken out across the country after the black men in different states died at the hands of police enforcement and also how police were killed at the Black Lives Matter protest. On the other hand, Presidential Nominee Donald Trump is also trying to have it both ways on police brutality. He released a statement about the need to “restore law and order” which means something needs to be done with lethal force by police. Many people pointed out his statement as uncharacteristic because it wasn't really trying with the issue and he also appears to agree at least somewhat. I want this issue to stop because us Americans need to stand up and fight for our freedom. We can’t sit there and let the issue become more of a big problem and we definitely don't want to see our future kids suffer and stumble down because of our mistakes and not helping to stop this problem which is getting out of control. The problem might not affect everyone but still those people can stand up and help those who are being affected by the issue.

Victoria L.