Marlen California

On the choice to live

This is my letter on the controversial issue of abortion.

Dear President of the Future,

As humans we know life is very unexpected, but so can pregnancy at a young age. Teenagers from ages 13-18 don’t always tend to know the correct steps to take during their young adult life. There have been many occasions in which a young teen has been in a difficult situation where she gets pregnant and can not afford the child or can not confront parents. Sometimes girls find themselves in situations where they have been raped and they believe that there is no solution for the baby so they decide to abort. Abortion is murder and should not be legal. “ A person is a person no matter how small” - Dr. Seuss.

Abortion has been going on for a long time. When a 15 year old gets pregnant she can’t take care of the child alone. Usually in these certain occasions is when the idea of abortion pops up their minds. Abortion then ends up being a huge mistake once done. Most teens are smart but chose to do the wrong choices because it feels right to them or they like to decide for themselves and never think of the consequences. When it comes to pregnancy, girls become afraid to take so much responsibility because they can’t always afford to pay for the baby’s needs or the motherhood process.

Many girls can feel pressured by boyfriends or friends about sexual relations. Sexual relationships should be done at a certain adult age when a woman can take care for herself and is smart enough to use protection or knows how to make the right decisions. At times there are situations in which young girls has been raped and feel that the only solution is to abort. That is not a solution, women should be cared for in a way that the baby can still be born! “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.”- J.R.R. Tolkein

There is no need to kill an innocent being. Taking the life of a human being is murder and it is illegal in the U.S. Recently scientist have discovered that an embryo is still a baby even though it hasn’t been fully developed in the woman's womb, it is still baby because it is there. During the 20-27 weeks is when the process of abortion is done but it is believed that the embryo can feel pain even if un-fully developed. Why should the mother have the choice to chose whether her child should be born or not? What has the innocent baby done to her if the mistake of not using protection was the responsibility of the women! “The right to life is the first among human rights”. - Pope Francis.

It can be said that most women believe that they get to decide what to do with their bodies and that the law should not be able to decide for them. Many agree on this opinion because women can be smart with their decisions. Abortion can prevent foster cares and that feeling of wanting or finding love that the mother could not give to it’s child but it is still a mistake to make an abortion. It will affect the women for the rest of her life whether it is physically or mentally because once done you can not go back.

Marlen H.