Dawn H. North Carolina

Gender Inequality

Just because we are girls, doesn't mean we shouldn't get paid as well.

MAKERS reported that “In 2015, women make 78 cents for every dollar earned by a man.” According to The White House, “ In 2014, the typical woman working full-time all year in the United States earned only 79 percent of what the typical man earned working full time all year.” There is no reason for a man to make more than a woman. Why is gender inequality still a problem in 2015? We have evolved so much yet we are being pulled back. We are running against the wind; if we achieve gender equality it will be clear, a weight will be lifted and genders will be equal. In the workforce, millions of women face discrimination, sexual harassment and pay inequality according to the website For Women.

A Forbes contributor wrote, “It’s a myth that women are suffering on the job.” Will you lead people to believe this? This thought should be changed and women know it too. Is it a myth that gender inequality is a problem? Is it a myth that women are treated differently than men? No, it is real and there are statistics to prove it. According to Makers.com:

“For every dollar made by a father with children under the age of 18, mothers earn 74.7 cents.”

“African-American women earn 64 cents and Latina women earn 56 cents for every dollar earned by a Caucasian man.”

“By 2018, there will be 1.4 million open technology jobs in the U.S. and, at the current rate of students graduating with degrees in computer science, only 61 percent of those openings will be filled — and women will fill just 29 percent.”

People can’t deny these statistics and neither can you. This shows that women are not being treated equally. America is a place based on freedom, and being unequal is not being free. It separates you from others. To be free is to make your own decisions, and who is making these unequal decisions for us? Not hardworking women, not any man or woman who respects gender equality.

What you could do for our country is make people aware of this problem, but don’t stop there. You have the power to change this, use that power to make a difference. Even with everything that you may feel you need to change, make sure you look at this important side. This is not a cry for attention, a beg for help, but an educated attempt to try and make a better place. Boy or girl, man or woman, gender inequality in the workplace is a problem for everyone. Do we want the next generation of children to believe that they are not equal to their peers? Or do we want them to grow up in an environment and home that is free and equal that they can be proud to call America?

“In 46 countries, women now hold more than 30% of seats in national parliament in at least one chamber” according to Un.org. This is great progress, but if women hold 30%, doesn’t that mean men hold 70%? Will America have these percentages? Or will it be 50/ 50? You can make this change and lead the world to gender equality in the workplace. What will you do?

Dawn H

Wake Young Women’s Leadership Academy

“Achive Gender Equality and Empower All Women and Girls.” Un.org, www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/gender-equality/. Accessed 3 Sept. 2016.

“Don’t Publish Sexist Op-eds.” ForWomen.org, forwomen.org/forbes-dont-publish-sexist-op-eds/?gclid=CNTmgfCR-84CFUU2gQodhdkLvw. Accessed 6 Sept. 2016.

“Gender Equality in Entertainment.” The Odyssey, www.theodysseyonline.com/gender-inequality-in-the-entertainment-industry.

“Gender Equality Still Prevalent in Women’s Daily Lives.” Starr Fm Online, starrfmonline.com/1.2020580.

“International Women’s Day: Enough of the Same Old Same Old.” Better Working World, betterworkingworld.ey.com/purpose/enough-same-old-same-old?WT.mc_id=20012831&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US_Generic_BBWW_Purpose&gclid=CLWDsLiN8c4CFUM6gQod-3QDXg. Accessed 2 Sept. 2016.

“Understand the Basics.” The White House, www.whitehouse.gov/issues/equal-pay#top.

“Women’s Equality Day: Gender Inequalities That Still Exist Today in the U.S.” Makers.com, www.makers.com/blog/womens-equality-day-stats.

Wake Young Women's Leadership Academy

GLODEN'S GRADE 8 OWLS

Grade 8 Students in Karyn Gloden's 2017 ELA and SS classes