Joanna S. Minnesota

Gender pay gap

Women should be paid equally as men.

Dear next President,

Congratulations on winning the 2016 election! It must have been super hard and stressful, but you pushed through, way a go. I trust that you will make a difference in our country and listen to us, the people. There are many issues that need to be fix. One them being the gender pay gap the United states suffers from.

Now a days, according to the AAUW, on average women are paid about 80 cents of every dollar men make. In 2015, the United states average annual earnings for men was $51,212, while for women it was 40,742. Women are not expected to get paid equally as men until 2059. But if rates keep going low, it won’t happen until around 2152.

In a AAUW interview with Kerri Sleeman, a superviser, shared her sad story. She had worked for a company for 5 years. The company then went broke and all the employees went to court demanding for their last pay check. Sleeman found out men, who she had supervised, were getting paid more than she. Sleeman was offended and heartbroken by this unfairness.

My ideal solution to this problem is to make a law saying all people working in the same job, doing the same type of work, are to be paid the same amount. Yes, there will be people who don't like this law. But the amount of people who will be satisfied by this law weights it. The economy will rise and people will be happier.

Women don’t get paid what they should all the time, It’s time to change that. Let’s make america a little more equal by giving everyone the right amount of salary the deserve. Let’s paid people what they should be paid for their work ethic, not their gender. It’s time to be equal.

Joanna Santoyo

Saint Paul, Minnesota 

Henry Sibley High School

Imm

Ms. Imm's American Lit classes