Eleanor

Racial Inequality & Police Brutality

Racial inequality and police brutality is something the next president should really be concerned with.

September 29, 2016

Madame/Mr. President

Dear future Madame/ Mr. President,

There are many changes that need to occur in the United States in order to establish it as the country of freedom and equality it was originally meant to be. One major issue that needs resolution is racial injustice and police brutality. The people that are supposed to protect us, are harming specifically people of color (mainly African American people) when they are unarmed, and/or going about their daily activities. Policemen and women jump to conclusions and harm them, then end up claiming it was “self defense” or try to explain how they “feared for their life.” Since they are harming people of color, the laws are not inflicted upon them as harshly and offenders often get away with what they did with no cost.

Incidents such as the Alton Sterling and Trayvon Martin shooting are perfect examples of unfair aggression towards african american citizens. This is not the 1950s anymore: all people should be treated equally. The Declaration of Independence clearly states that “all men are created equal” and “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” are basic rights who concerns ALL people. The very ideals our country was founded on are not being held in very high regard, and these injustices should be a huge wake up call. If these issues are not fixed they will, without a doubt, lead to more in the future. Therefore, it would be beneficial that they be handled haste and importance.

Eleanor

Ripon High School

English I Honors

Students from Mrs. Valponi's English I Honors class