Faith F. Oregon

Abortion is a medical procedure that terminates a human pregnancy and results the death of the fetus according to ISideWith.com.

Abortion is a serious matter that I stand very strongly on. I believe that killing an unborn fetus is unjust and wrong. I believe that a fetus is alive and that its life begins at conception. According to CDC.gov,

2012, 699,202 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas. The abortion rate for 2012 was 13.2 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 210 abortions per 1,000 live births.

Some people say that life begins at birth, but even before that, at 10 weeks the baby can feel pain, have a heartbeat, have all functioning organs, have formed unique fingerprints, and can dream. Abortion kills far more people than guns do, and yet the government is trying to ban guns. If scientists found a one-celled organism on another planet, they would deem it as "life", even though an unborn fetus has far more many cells than that and is not considered a life.

Other people claim that it is okay to have an abortion because the woman who is pregnant should be in control of her own body. I think a women SHOULD have control over her own body, yet the baby inside of her is not her body; its another being. What about the baby's choice? The child has no choice over whether or not it lives or dies. African Americans didn't choose slavery, Jews didn't choose genocide, and babies didn't choose abortion. Everyone has a choice except for the victim.

Another stance on the issue is that since it's legal to have an abortion, it's an okay thing to do. We shouldn't let the laws define what is okay and acceptable; it should be up to us. When Hitler killed millions and millions of Jews, everything he did was legal and that doesn't mean it was okay. What he did was horrifying and yet he never broke the law once. 

Abortion is still a rising issue to this day, and there are many  different stances on it. I stand strongly against it because I believe life begins at conception and that you are killing an unborn child who hasn't even had the chance to live yet. I hope that the future president will look into this issue and make changes to the current laws on abortion. I sincerely respect everyone for their opinions, and I hope others will do the same for mine. Just because you disagree with someone, does't mean they're a terrible person. I hope people will recognize that someday.

Faith F. 

Kennedy Middle School

Henderson Period 3 Social Studies

What's important to you? This is a forum to write about the issues that matter to YOU!