Mary T. Minnesota

Gender Inequality

This letter is about gender inequality and how it is a probelm and that our future president should fix.

Dear next president,

Congratulations on your win. It must have been very hard. I hate to disturb you but I would like you to hear a problem I have been having. I would like you to address the problem of gender inequality. It has been a problem for centuries. Women have been abused, oppressed, and silenced even though there has been a significant improvement since the 1800s. I still think that there should be more things done for women.

I have personally experienced discriminations because of my gender. I have been sent to the office because my tank top was too distracting for a boy. I was forced to change into my gym t-shirt because my shoulders were distracting the education of a boy. They cared more about his education than mine. They didn't acknowledge the amount of my education wasted, just because of my shirt. They cared more about the male's education than females because if I were to say that a male's shirt is distracting me from getting my education, I am 100% sure that the response would have been different.

My gender may be a factor for my future job. It’ll decide if a work as a secretary for this big CEO or if I am the CEO. It will decide if I get promoted or get more career opportunities. It’ll decide the amount of money I get paid even though I may do a better job than my male employees. I will get paid less because I am a female.

My gender will also factor in the way people judge me. I will be judged by if I'm not pretty enough or body shape, makeup, and my outfit. I will be judged for the wrong things. Things that don’t matter at all but because I am a female, people will pay more attention to those uninformative factors than to the ones that actually matter.

In the article UN Conference 2003 released by M2 Presswire it states that women represent 70% of those living in poverty and that unequal power relations and unfair ownership of property and assets caused women to be more prone to poverty than men. One reason why women are prone to poverty than men is because women don’t get hired as much as men do and if they get hired they are hired by low-income jobs and isn’t enough to support a family.

The article also states that women’s social, economic inequality leads to trafficking, domestic violence, and exploitation. The scarce opportunities for employment and education in countries might lead to them becoming countries of origin of trafficking and the sexual exploitation of women and children.

I need you as the president of the United States of America to make laws that ban discrimination because of your gender. The law should state that employers should only look at the requirements the applier meets and not judge them depending on other factors such as gender, race, etc. I hope that you take into consideration my concern for this country since it will affect me in my future. I hope you realize that gender inequality is a very serious problem and it should be fixed for the future of woman in America.

Mary