Megan S. Michigan

Abortion should be legal in every state in The U.S.

Abortion is one of the most pressing issues in our country and around the world today. People that support women's rights to choose whether or not to have an abortion and end their pregnancy identify as pro-choice. Those who are against abortion consider themselves to be pro-life. However, the argument is much more complex than a two sided dispute, and it will eventually be your responsibility to act on the issue.

As you probably already know, abortion is legal in the United States, but each individual state is allowed to have its own restrictions on abortion. For example, 26 states in the U.S. prohibit abortion after 24-26 weeks of a woman’s pregnancy. I believe that every woman in America should have the right to a safe and legal abortion at any point in her pregnancy. This does not necessarily mean that I am in favor of abortion in every situation, but I do believe that a woman should have the right to choose whether or not to end her pregnancy. The only way to ensure a woman’s right to choose is to make abortion completely legal nation-wide.

People who are pro-life argue that abortion is murder, killing the life of a child. However, abortion can prevent a child from having an unfortunate life. Everyone can agree that the health and social well-being of a child are important factors in the quality of a child's life. This can be at risk if a mother is incapable of giving her child the life it deserves. Yes, adoption is an option for mothers who can’t support their child, but adoption isn’t always a picture perfect solution. Many mothers regret giving their child up for adoption after the process is completed. Adoption can sometimes cause a child’s life to be complicated. Is it worth it to take these risks?

Many people think that the process of abortion is disturbing and inhumane. However, what's truly frightening is the amount of illegal and dangerous abortions that took place prior to the Roe v. Wade case that lead to laws protecting legal abortion in the U.S. These back-alley procedures put the mother's life at great risk. Similar to the prohibition of alcohol in our country, banning abortion wouldn’t end abortion; it will only increase the number of illegal abortions in the U.S. If women no longer have the legal right to abortion, they will turn to these unsafe practices, and women in many states already are. According to a Texas Policy Evaluation project, “somewhere between 100,000 and 240,000 women in this age range [between 18 and 49] have tried to end a pregnancy on their own without medical assistance." Does banning abortion really change our country for the better?

There are many factors to consider when debating the issue of abortion, but when it comes down to it, making abortion legal in every state would be the most beneficial to America.

Megan S.