Jasmine B. New Jersey

Mexican Immigration

My letter is about Mexican immigration. On how Mexican immigrants are hardworking and they shouldn't be disrespected.

Did you know that immigrants from mexico are actually less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans? For those of you that think they’re all criminals, think again.

Lots of immigrants from Mexico are very hardworking. They are most likely to work in the construction industry. According to to Andrew DYS, a herald columnist, Manuel Sanchez, Jose Montez, and Mario Mendoza work in construction. They work in a deep pitch, it’s so deep that they need a harness and rope to keep them from plummeting to certain death. These hardworking men do this 10,12 hours, six days a week, and they’re being called criminals? They aren’t no criminals.

Many immigrants may not speak well English, but they speak it. In fact, China has more English speakers than the entire United States.

Donald Trump is assuming that most criminals are “drug lords” and “rapists”. He’s just assuming that they are all like that, but they’re not. I want people to know that immigrants from mexico can actually be good people, not criminals. Most immigrants don’t even commit crimes. They are less likely to commit crimes than born Americans.

Everyone is insinuating that immigrants coming from mexico are “stealing jobs”, Stealing jobs? There are plenty of jobs. It hurts sometimes to see my parents come home tired, coming back from jobs they "stole." (my parents both have their legal papers.) Immigrants work hard in their jobs in America. They ask for nothing, they work for what they have, and contribute to this country. They come here so they can work for their families. To protect and feed them. They want to live the american live.

I think American politician Luis Gutierrez said it best when he said “The truth is, today’s immigrants, as they have for generation after generation, work the longest hours at the hardest jobs for the lowest pay, jobs that are just impossible to fill.”

Sincerely, Jasmine

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.