Max N. New Jersey

Water Pollution

This letter is about water pollution. Water pollution is a big deal. The fish could eat the garbage and die. We need to help.

Picture this: it’s just a typical day at the beach on the Jersey Shore, you’re swimming around in the water. Then a plastic bag gets wrapped around your leg. You think it's a fish, but it's not. You never realized how polluted our ocean is. Then you start thinking about it, and you instantly want to help. We need to help protect the ocean! I strongly believe that we need to protect the ocean. I live on the shore with my friends, so we all know and love the ocean. It would help our environment to have our ocean clean. It would simply make life better.

The ocean is home to many fish/creatures. If we pollute the ocean the fish could eat the garbage and die. For some people fish could serve as their main food source, and if they all die than they can’t have food. Finally fishing could be a living for some people, they could be a fisherman, and without fish they won't have a job. All of this was directed from www.iflscience.com.

Also many people come to the ocean to visit. If they expect to much, but it’s filled with trash then they will not like the ocean. The ocean could be a peaceful place for many people, but if it’s dirty then it will no longer be a peaceful place. Finally the ocean could be someone’s home because they live on the beach, and it would make them mad to see their home dirty.

We can’t exist without the ocean. The ocean generates 50% of the oxygen we breathe. The CO2 dissolves in the ocean, according to marine-conservation.org. If our ocean is polluted, then the air may be polluted too. If we didn’t have a clean ocean then we couldn’t have clean air and there still could be some CO2. Also there is only so much that the ocean can handle before it is a “sick” sea.

What if people live in the middle of the country, and they don’t care about the ocean? Maybe they think we don’t need the ocean. Maybe they think we’ll be fine with rivers and lakes. Well, they are wrong. The ocean is very important to our environment. If they like fish, then they should think about where some of it would came from. The ocean.

Many people haven’t been to the ocean. They may not care because they don’t live near the ocean. They need to know that we all need the ocean. The ocean is one of the most important things that people need to have to live. We need to do whatever we possibly can to protect our ocean. The ocean is filled with garbage. The fish and birds keep eating it and die from it, we need to help protect the birds and fish from dying.

What can you do to help?

Your Serious Citizen,

Max

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.