Joseph B. Massachusetts

Anchor Babies

Dear Mr./Mrs. President, 

My name is Joseph Bracero and I'd like to bring up some points on immigration. Illegal immigration is a problem, but the fact that we allow children to become citizens if they are on United States soil can be more problematic and easily taken advantage of. Many have coined the term "anchor babies" as a nickname for children born for the purpose of "anchoring" their parents to the United States. 

Unfortunately, this term is only partially accurate since these children will not keep their parents from deportation every time. Illegal immigration needs to be addressed, therefore I suggest a solution. Instead of automatic citizenship, I propose that there should be a requirement for at least one parent to be a citizen for a child to qualify for birthright citizenship. This eliminates the "anchor baby" concept and provides a better solution than outright eliminating birthright citizenship, which would alienate generations. Immigration is a subject of debate, but in the interest of pragmatism and fixing the issues instead of letting the issues grow into a large problem, I highly recommend that something be done as soon as possible. 

Joseph