Luiz V. New Jersey

Terrorism

Issue on Terrorism

Luiz Veliz

West Milford Twp. High School

67 Highlander Drive

West Milford, NJ

Future President at the White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

Washington, DC 20500

Hello, future president I am Luiz Veliz from New Jersey. I am a freshman at West Milford High School. Congratulations on winning this year’s election, I hope you make a memorable four years in the White House. Now that you are in charge I think that there are many problems facing our country today, one of the biggest and most immediate threat is terrorism. Fear of attacks from groups like ISIS have been hanging over our heads recently and it has not yet been addressed. I have some suggestions to this problem we have right now.

When Al-Qaeda were responsible for the attacks on September 11 around 3,000 people died and more than 6,000 people were injured. Between 2006-2013 90,000 terrorists attacks have happened according to CNN. This isn’t just a problem here in the United States this problem affects people worldwide. Today the most notorious terrorist group is ISIS they have been responsible for attacks in Europe, Asia and Africa.

Although there is almost no way to perfectly pinpoint the cause of terrorism, most terrorist attacks are motivated by social and political injustice. Another way terrorism is motivated is because the terrorist or terrorist group thinks that violence will work to get their point across or to show a message. Terrorists like suicide bombers are almost brainwashed to believe that sacrificing themselves is their purpose.

The effects that terrorism leaves on the areas and people affected are devastating. It costs hundred of lives when an attack happens, but it is even worse for the survivors. They are left with permanent trauma and the mourning of the deaths of loved ones. These terrorist attacks also cost corporations and cities billions of dollars in repairs. The World Trade Center cost about 3.8 billion dollars to replace and fifteen years to rebuild. One of the big issues about terrorism is that they are funded really well. We have to find what or who funds them and stop them.

There aren’t many perspectives that come with the issue of terrorism. There is the obvious perspective of the people who it affects. The effects of terrorism on people and the cities are devastating. But to some people think the effects aren’t that bad. It really hasn’t affected them personally they see an event and forget it very soon, they almost brush it off. But this problem is not unfixable. One of the more important things to address is to find the “root” of terrorism. Like with Al-Qaeda when they lost their funding they were nothing. Running a terrorist group is very expensive. Today Al-Qaeda is a shell of its old self.

What I hope you will do as the next president of the United States is to find an end of terrorism without causing a major war. This issue needs an immediate resolution with rising tensions in the Middle East, we don’t know when a major attack might happen.

Luiz Veliz

Citations

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/27/us/september-11-anniversary-fast-facts/

http://terrorism.about.com/od/causes/a/causes_terror.htm

http://www.cfr.org/terrorism-and-the-economy/aftermath-terrorist-attack-economic-financial-policy-consequences/p4041