Anonymous Michigan

Something needs to be done. Soon.

Congratulations on becoming the next president of the United States. I wish to take a few moments of your time that could change the lives of millions of immigrants all over America. Immigration is a huge problem that needs fixing sooner rather than later. Families are being split apart, Parents deported without warning back to their home countries. America is called the land of opportunity for a reason. No other country is like us and immigrants come here from all corners of the Earth so that they can lead a better life. We need to have a little more sympathy for those that are not as lucky as us to have lived here. I'm not saying we should let everybody flock in here like it’s a open party. We should check backgrounds and give tests and as long as they aren’t terrorists or crime lords, then let them in. It can only help America. Allowing more people through the border would mean less people are try to smuggle themselves in because it would be as easy as walking through the front door. We would not be hunting people down because they would have gotten here legally. As for those already here, an investigation for each one would be necessary, but if they have no criminal record, then let them stay.

Many people believe that illegal immigrants take jobs away from native born Americans specifically unskilled laborers. However in reality, The American economy benefits from immigration. Most immigrants could be helpful to us. They take the jobs Americans don’t want, Like the back breaking work of picking vegetables in intense heat from the farms so that we can eat. Immigrants can also make money for the United States. Their work generates more money than the public cost for them to be here by around 80,000 dollars each year according to www.aclu.org. They also found that there was a positive correlation between immigrants working, and Americans getting more jobs. Based on an article by theatlantic, immigrants that come to America have the same basic needs and wants that we do. Because of this, there is a higher demand for these goods creating more jobs for native born Americans. For every 1,000 immigrants that come to America, 1,200 new jobs are created.

Another bonus of opening our borders is that we can cut costs on border patrols. border patrols actually drive immigration and the government spends large sums of money which take away from other programs that could be far more useful like the military or health care via. Overall, allowing immigrants to come to America more freely will fix more problems than they make and it makes the country richer as well as generating jobs for normal Americans.

Nathan Buchanan

Avondale High School

AP Lang

Rick Kreinbring's 2016-17 AP Language and Composition students