Daniella T. New Jersey

Unemployment

issues with unemployment

Daniella Toscano

West Milford Twp. High School

67 Highlander Drive

West Milford, NJ 07480

Future President at the White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

Washington, DC 20500

Dear Future President:

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to read my concerns regarding unemployment in the United States. Unemployment is probably one of the largest economic problems today. After the economy crashed in 2008, the rates for unemployment have risen greatly. Unemployment affects our economy in many ways. If people are not working, they do not have money to spend and in some cases do not even have money for food and other basic necessities.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate is currently at 5.0% for people aged 16 and over living in the United States. From January 2013 through December 2015, 3.2 million workers were displaced from jobs they had held for at least 3 years. The unemployment rates in our country contribute to the economic stability in the United States. The more unemployment the less stable our economy will be.

The causes of unemployment are people quitting their position, being laid off, new workers joining the workforce, and outsourcing of jobs. People leave their current job prior to finding another one, sometimes due to work conditions or pay. Companies facing financial troubles may need to lay off some of their workers in order to remain in business. Recent college graduates looking to join the workforce for the first time struggle at times to find employment. Labor is often found cheaper in other countries, so companies will outsource some of their business to other countries which takes away jobs from Americans.

Unemployment affects people’s lives in many ways. When people are not working, they are unable to pay bills which can include rent or mortgage payments. This could cause them to lose their house or apartment. They also may not have money to support themselves or family with essential things like food or clothing. Unemployment causes stress in people’s lives and impacts their health, emotions and daily living.

There are some Americans that are not concerned with unemployment and think the unemployed need to look harder for jobs. Many who are working and are not directly affected by unemployment do not feel it is a priority. There are others who feel it is you and our country who need to work harder to create more jobs in the United States. And that unemployment is a crisis that continues to rise and affect the entire country.

In order to decrease unemployment rates and get people back to work you will need to give tax credits to employers who want to put the unemployed to work. If employers receive these credits for getting people back to work, this will make them want to create more jobs. You should also give tax breaks to those who are rejoining the workforce. This will help motivate those who are not working to get back to work.

Unemployment remains a big issue in our country that affects many Americans in one way or another. During your time as President of the United States, I hope you will consider the seriousness of the unemployment issue and improve the unemployment rates and the economy of our country.

Daniella Toscano

Student, West Milford High School