Emily C. New Jersey

Ending Food Insecurity

This letter is about ending food insecurity.

Did you know that hunger is the world's number 1 health risk. It kills more people every year than ALDS, malana and tuberculosis combined? I strongly agree that people should not suffer from food-insecurity. Somewhere tonight in the U.S are going to bed hungry. Others are not aware. This needs to change.

First, too many people go to bed hungry. Too many people aren’t sure where their next meal will come from. According to feeding america.org, 42.2 million Americans live in food insecure households. Also, 29.1 million, adults 13.1 children, and 5% of households (6.3 million households) experienced very low food insecurity.

Second, parents should be able to feed their children. This is their responsibility , and when they can’t they feel hopeless. Below poverty line is 38.3. Single moms are one of the lowest of the food insecurity. Rates wise, Black and Hispanic households are one of the world's for poor and food insecurity.

Food insecurity is the state of being without reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable, nutritious food. Why does food insecurity matter? Food insecurity matters if we didn’t have food insecurity, we wouldn’t have any access to any foods. Also on www.aciar.gov.au, it says that they are making progress about not having lot of people going to bed hungry. Also they were saying that there are 209 fewer people now than 1990. However there has been only modest progress in Sub-Saharan Africa and Western Asia, where natural disasters and conflict continue to trap people in hunger. :-( The one thing that our world has to get on is to feed the world in 2050 we need to increase total global food production by 70%.

Some people are arguing that if people who don’t have enough to eat, don’t work hard enough to eat, don’t work hard enough, or aren’t skilled enough. Food is necessarily, not a luxury. Making sure a person has enough to eat comes before anything else.

We must end hunger now. It is our responsibility to help our fellow citizens in the same country that are struggling to help them. As former president Bill Clinton once said, “We cannot build our own future without helping others to build theirs”. We must help those who cannot help themselves for the sake of our future. Our future can’t begin without food.

Emily Caccamise

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.