Victoria R. New Mexico

Abortion/birth control

I believe abortion should be legal for all ages.

My name is Tori, and I am a sophomore in high school. I am deeply concerned about the issue of abortion rights as a women or teenager should be able to make their own decision on keeping a child or not. There is a difference in not wanting a child and not being able to take care of one. In relation, I think a child unborn would leave a women sad but not as sad as giving a life to a child that wouldn't be raised right or disabled due to young age or drug abuse. Another reason as to why abortion should be legal is that if a female were to be raped and get pregnant, she should have the right before any other pregnant woman to abort that child. However, I believe if a woman is not trying to get pregnant, she should take birth control as it has become more affective and widely available.

Abortion was legalized in 1973, which was well known as the Roe v. Wade decision. 21% of all pregnancies including miscarriage end in an abortion. I believe the number of abortions could be increased if women take more responsibility for their sexual actions. In relation, the rate of teenage pregnancies in the United States has reduced to its lowest in 40 years. Birth control and emergency contraception has accounted for 86% of teenage pregnancies. According to NBC News, half of the roughly 1.2 million abortions taken each year are women of the age 25 or older, and at least 60% have given birth to one or more child prior. Hence, 12% of abortions have reduced nationwide since 1990.

I would like to state that my thoughts and opinions on this subject changed and became difficult to agree with while writing this letter. In conclusion, I believe again that women should take more responsibility into their sexual actions, which is taking birth control, an emergency contraception, or abstinence if they take pregnancy serious. I would like to thank you for reading my letter and for your contributions to our country in terms of making America better.

Sincerely, Tori R