Baylie P. Michigan

Sexual Assault On Minors

Sexual assault on minors is a real thing and we need to show people that it's a serious issue.

Research conducted by the CDC estimates that Approximately 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 girls are sexually abused before the age of 18. As you can see, it happens a lot. We need to open people's eyes to what happens behind closed doors because it's a serious issue that shouldn't be looked over.

Approximately 1.8 million adolescents in the United States have been the victims of sexual assault and we need to lower that number because it's horrifying that this happens to kids as much as it does. 73 % of child victims don’t tell anyone about the abuse until almost a year later and 45% of victims don't tell until at least 5 years, and then some never disclose. Because so many cases go unreported or goes unreported for too long, nothing happens. That's a big reason why it keeps happening. Not all sexually abused children exhibit symptoms so we need to show victims that it's ok to speak up. If there is signs the signs include depression, loss of appetite withdrawal from normal activities, fear of certain people, and more. Most likely they don't report or tell anyone because they're scared, don't want to be harmed by their abuser again, thinks no one will believe them, or don't want to be judged. Give them the protection they need to speak up and to take them out of the environment that they're in. People need to realize that boys can get sexually assaulted too and that they also have as much right to say no as girls do. Children of every race, gender, social status, and background are at risk, no child is immune. It can happen to anyone believe it or not. Most victims know and trust their abusers so it’s not strangers we have to be scared of, it’s the people that are right in front of us.

With the help of the future president and people we can open people's eyes and inform them about the horrifying actions that happen to all of these innocent children. We can put a stop to this if we just pay more attention and address it. If we educate the public about sexual assault on minors we can decrease the number of cases that there is.

Baylie P.

Carman-Ainsworth High School

Carman-Ainsworth High School

This group consist of students in the course of English 12 for Ms. Mathews. We will be posting on issues of social injustice and making a change for the better.