Ahmard C. Michigan

Domestic Violence on Children

Children around the United States Are being neglected and abused and we need to do more about it.

Domestic Violence: Violent or aggressive behavior within the home, typically involving the violent abuse of a spouse or partner. Some say that it’s not serious and every relationship has fights and it’s okay. It’s not; under any circumstance. Children are affected drastically by domestic abuse.

Every year around 686,000 children are deemed victims in the U.S. and 1,640 children died as a result of negligence and abuse. TheAtlantic.com, states, “Some children who died from abuse and neglect were already known by CPS agencies”. Approximately four children die everyday, and around 9,315 referrals are made to Child Protective Services. So that is around 3.4 million referrals that are made every year, and of that only 2.1 million received a response, we need to do more and increase the rate of response for these cases.

Every child matters and shouldn’t be ignored. Children who are beaten and abused are not only physically impacted, these kids are stressed emotionally. At school they can isolate themselves and feel like they have no one to help or understand the pain they’re going through. I could only imagine being one of those kids whose case had been reviewed and did not receive a response. Just knowing that everyday you have to go right back home to the place that is causing you harm, I would be traumatized.

More should be done to get as many of these kids help as possible. Change the cycle, get these kids help and provide them with the knowledge that it is wrong so when they grow up and have kids they won’t make the same mistakes or have the same tendencies because they weren’t taught right from wrong.  

Sincerely, Ahmard C.