Naima F. California

Xenophobia . . .

For years people have been leaving their homes in fear of being treated different because what they believe in or where they from.

I am Naima and today I'm going to be talking about my topic “Xenophobia”. Xenophobia is a “Intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries”. For years people have been leaving their homes in fear of being treated different because what they believe in or where they from .We have been given a title and that scares people, do I scare you because I'm Muslim?” A fear of hate of any community can be developed at such a young age it's hard to unlearn it. But we can “unlearn it” if we can teach our student or our neighbor or even our daughters or sons we can help.

Xenophobia has been looked over for years now, it has been pushed aside too many times. People often confuse Xenophobia and Racism but racism is about your appearance not where you're from. “We are all foreigners somewhere”, aren't we? There are multiple solutions to this problems. We can do it by communicating with our neighbors or friends or if you were really care about tell your whole class, tell your whole school this something to do now in our own home or our own school. But what can we do worldwide? The limits are endless, we can use anything to help us being one really.

We need more awareness about Xenophobia, I propose that we should have a month dedicated to Xenophobia. I don’t want one single day because no one really focused on them. For example May 23 is “National lucky penny day and National taffy day”. I didn’t hear about any of these thing most likely you didn’t either so a small little day isn’t going to do it. We need to talk about, communication is the key. Before you go just remember, Xenophobia won’t just go away.

Sincerly,

Naima

Health Science Middle School

Health Sciences Middle School

Our young writers share their passion, questions, and solutions with you in hopes of creating a more positive and powerful dialogue during this electoral season.